Monday 22 October 2012

Ink drawings

 
 
Ashton Street, Liverpool


 
From the above photograph, I began to draw using stick and ink. Looking into the repetition of the building's exterior and how each piece fits together. This then developed into a small paper model that you can see in the bottom left of my sketchbook. I plan to develop this 3D shape even more and toy with the idea of repetition.



 St. John's shopping centre, Liverpool

As I was stood waiting for a friend in the city centre I began looking up at the structure of the shopping centre. I had previously come down to this building to take photographs but it was from a distance to get photographs of it as a building, but I began to see it differently and took a few quick shots of looking up through the sky light, roofing and across through the building.

I like the mis-matching and inter-twining of the structure. I would like to develop the idea of a really linear structure in my work.


This is an extract from my sketchbook of a quick line drawing of a structure in Liverpool One shopping centre. I don't find my drawings particularly great to look at, but from a design point of view they work well for my ideas.
 

A few more extracts from my sketchbook.


 
In a previous textiles project 'electric neon' I had looked into Nam June Paik's 'Lasercone' for inspiration regarding colour and pattern, so I reverted back to this but took a different approach. I used the video I took at the F.A.C.T exhibition in 2010 and began to draw different structural line drawings using stick and ink to create a variety of patterns within my sketchbook to work from. I will experiment with these drawings using wire, paper and textiles to develop the designs further.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.