Saturday 17 November 2012

Sorry I have been a little off target updating the blog

However I have been a busy bee as you can see!
 
 
Within Metalwork my samples are coming along nicely, and I have plenty to work with in order to design a well thought out piece or collection of jewellery.

I have been creating 3D plastic models inspired by linear imagery from Nam June Paik's 'Lasercone' that was exhibited in F.A.C.T Liverpool in 2011.

As I am looking into linear structures within architecture and fashion, I found Nam June Paik's piece unusual and interesting. Although the piece is made using light and is a 'man made' structure, the imagery the lights actually project are quite organic and fluid, which I thought was a nice contrast.
 
 
 
Detail of the cutting out of components for the models using the laser cutter.
 
Once these pieces were cut out I experimented with piecing them together and constructing shapes from them. Then further on from this I began to draw and develop designs from these.
 
One of the buildings I was looking at was the Eden Project building, I like the bubbled effect of the exterior of the building and wanted to develop this further so I began adding texture to the domed shape, by rolling the copper with wire (in the shape of one of Nam June Paik's light formations) in order to create a groove that could then be oxidised.
 
 




I created different etched and oxidised samples, as well as experimenting with the weaving of copper wire to enable a solid, repetitive construction using line.


These oxidised samples below were created with the rolling of the above laser cut plastic pieces into annealed copper. There was a lot of crunching and cracking as I rolled the plastic into the copper! ..but I am pleased with the results after oxidising them, as it really brings out the detail.

I didn't think the plastic would give such a groove, and I am glad it has made an impression. However the plastic also stretches when rolled, which distorts the image impressed onto the copper. So perhaps I could try a material with more rigor.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.