Sunday 17 March 2013

Scarf ring design

Apologies for the two week delay on posting. I have been very busy working late nights in the studios and workshops. Here's an update on what I've been up to in the Metal workshop lately!


The scarf ring idea began as a range of samples, created in card and then in copper, using scoring and folding techniques. I loved the idea of creating a large scale piece using geometric shapes.



This idea of scoring and folding metal meant that it would limit the amount of joins I would need in my piece. There would be 2 simple joins as well as 6 smaller joins (to insert the wire to wrap the scarf around)


The scarf ring idea also came about when I was creating my textiles body piece. It is a large sculptural piece using a combination of silk 'sleeves' that are threaded onto plastic strips.

When looking at the silk sleeves on their own without the support of the plastic, I loved the texture of the ruches and how it creates quite an organic shape. I thought this may work well on a larger scale as a scarf and also thought if I incorporated the sharp, crisp edges of my metal work it would create an over all contrasting aesthetic that would compliment eachother quite nicely.

Here is my design sheet, showing imagery and drawings that inspired my piece. The flowing overall shape of the scarf ring was influenced by The Eden Project building's exterior aesthetics and the triangular shapes, as with my first piece is inspired by an industrial building's exterior wall texture.


The scarf ring will be etched with a loose linear design and then silver plated, as to make it out of sterling silver was estimated to be quite costly, which I need to consider as I hope to achieve 5 pieces in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.