Saturday 9 February 2013

Scoring, folding and more designing of jewellery.


Recently I have been experimenting with scoring, filing and folding metal in order to create a seamless aesthetic for my design. However, this is proving quite difficult, and I have given myself a deadline to have my work finished by (6 weeks from now) in order to spend a great deal of my time perfecting my portfolio, business cards etc, after those 6 weeks are up before my degree show!

I began experimenting with scoring card and creating 3D shapes from a flat piece, without cutting or sticking seperate components.
 

This was my first initial experiment, which I believe worked quite well. I split a 360° circle into five parts (each 72°) I then began to alter the width, height and angle of the components within the circle.


Circle split into three sections, I like the 3D form this drawing has created. However, I'd like to split it into more than three parts.


I then split the circle into five sections again, but I don't particularly like the outcome as it looks too similar to flowers and petals, which is not my intention when it is supposed to relate to architecture.

Next, I created a development of the first sample I created. This time I developed it by widening the indented triangle at the top of each part.

                                        


    

I like the outcome of this sample as it creates an interesting aesthetic inside the piece as well as on the exterior. However, I am unsure how easily this could be created within metal.

   

This sample I am not particularly keen on as it is quite 'block-y' looking an is not promoting the aesthetic I am after, as does the sample below.


I created various samples in card, one of which was conjoined triangular shapes in a strip, which I then tried in metal to put the making of it into context. It wasn't too difficult as the copper was relatively thin (approx. 0.4mm) as I had rolled it down to enable quick filing and scoring.


I am quite pleased with this outcome, however I need to experiment and calculate how my design could use this technique in order to make a closed 3D form, rather than in strips - pieced together.

I tried various ways of creating my initial triangle component, the preferrable method for me was creating the pieces separately and soldering them together, as this process created the crispest edges. This is quite difficult as they need to be completely flush. So I will need to perfect this method of making prior to beginning to design my final piece


I then tried folding the scored, filed lines using various stakes and formers to try and get the join pointed and neat, but this was proving difficult and ended up causing metal fatigue.


Below is the scoring and filing method, used for the components in the sample above, however I folded the metal with pliers, hoping for a more precise, crisp line. However this was not the outcome.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.