Saturday 2 February 2013

Jewellery piece initial idea

Alongside my textiles work I have been developing my metalwork project. Inspired by architectural structures such as bridges, cathedrals, tiled exterior walls, beams, scaffold etc..


I began designing a clean lined linear piece that could be repeated in different compositions. However in order to create clean lines, I needed to research into folding, scoring etc and so referred to a technical book that taught me how to score and file metal in order to create crisp lines.




 



I began the process by marking my piece of metal with a scribe, then filing the scribed line over and over with a triangular file until a faint line became visible on the reverse side of the piece of metal.









Next, after the metal had been scored to the depth of half the thickness of the metal, I then inserted the metal into a vice in order to bend it evenly.




Once both of the components were bent, I soldered them together in order to create my desired shape!


I am quite pleased with this outcome, as it wasn't particularly time consuming and looks like my initial design. However I am currently experimenting with different folding techniques, in comparison to this one.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.